Wednesday, July 29, 2009

IUI

It's been a while again. Just an update from the testing cycle- I had three good follicles, which meant I had to potential to release three eggs that month. It could have meant triplets had it worked, but it didn't. So we moved onto our first treatment cycle- Clomid and an IUI (intraunterine insemination). I had to go for an ultrasound and bloodwork on cycle days 3, 10, 13, and 14. Finally, on cycle day 14, my follicles were at 19mm. The clinic likes to see 20mm, and they grow about 1mm a day, so I was instructed to give myself an injection of HCG to make me ovulate and the IUI was scheduled on cycle day 16. The IUI itself was fairly simple. Adam did his thing and the pain was minimal, just some discomfort like during a regular pap smear. The following week, I had bloodwork done to check my progesterone level and make sure I ovulated and the week after that I had more bloodwork done to see it the procedure worked. My arms were bruised pretty badly from all the needles and my veins are struggling with all the poking and prodding. It's getting harder and harder to get a good stick. Unfortunately, the procedure didn't work, so we're $1500 poorer and no closer than we were at the beginning of the month. Moving on I guess. Here's some more info about IUIs if you're curious.


How is insemination performed? What is the process for artificial insemination in humans?

1. The woman usually is given medications to stimulate development of multiple eggs and the insemination is timed to coincide with ovulation - release of the eggs.

2. A semen specimen is either produced at home or in the office by masturbation after 2-5 days of abstinence from ejaculation.

3. The semen is "washed" in the laboratory (called sperm processing or sperm washing). The sperm is separated from the other components of the semen and concentrated in a small volume. Various media and techniques can be used for the washing and separation. Sperm processing takes about 30-60 minutes.

4. A speculum is placed in the vagina and the cervical area is gently cleaned.

5. The washed specimen of highly motile sperm is placed either in the cervix (intracervical insemination, ICI) or higher in the uterine cavity (intrauterine insemination, IUI) using a sterile, flexible catheter.

The intrauterine insemination procedure, if done properly, should seem similar to a pap smear for the woman. There should be little or no discomfort.

Most clinics offer for the woman to remain lying down for a few minutes after the procedure, although it has not been shown to improve success rates. The sperm has been put above the vagina and cervix - it will not leak out when you stand up.

No comments:

Post a Comment